Friday, December 14, 2012

HOLIDAY ADVICE: JUST SAY NO

 
During the holiday season many of my clients who have young babies find themselves face-to-face with the, sometimes daunting, expectations of well meaning friends and relatives.  

The old “go with the flow” style of meeting other people’s needs and expectations is no longer workable when you are sleep deprived and stressed to the max with a new baby.  Nobody seems to get it and everyone expects you to do what you’ve always done, whether it’s hosting 40 people or traveling 400 miles.  Everyone wants to see you and the baby, making it hard to say NO even though your knees shake and your pressure goes up just thinking about it.

As women we are accustomed to making concessions in order to make others happy.  If I had a nickel for every woman who has sat in my office saying “I really don’t want to…but I have to” I’d be a rich woman.  Whenever we say YES when we’d rather say NO there is a price to pay.  Think ahead.  Consider the obstacles, the stress factor, the anger and resentment you might feel because you are doing something you don’t want to do. 

If ever there was a time to for-go pleasing others, take care of yourself and shrug your shoulders in response to those who just don’t get I, this is it.  So give yourself a gift this holiday season.  

       JUST SAY NO.

No comments:

Post a Comment